On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:08:24PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
>Around 22 o'clock on Oct 22, David Dawes wrote:
>
>> >   -no-render-extension / NoRenderExtension
>> >   -render-extension (for cancelling a NoRenderExtension option in
>> >                  XF86Config)
>
>Might shorten these to '-norender' and '-render'.  However, I'd argue that
>Render should be considered a "core" extension and not be made optional at
>all.  Applications like OpenOffice and Mozilla will not function
>reasonably without it, and (see below), it's impact can be mitigated or
>even eliminated, although some apps will probably produce "unexpected"
>results without any render colors in the default colormap aside from black
>and white.

If it can be run in a mode where no colours other than black or
white are allocated, then that'd be OK.  It needs to be possible
to have a configuration where legacy pseudocolor-only clients can
run without interference.  I can't think of too many reasons why
people would choose to run in 8-bit mode other than to be able to
run such clients.

>I note that we don't have a '-noshape' option available.

That's because people don't complain about shape affecting the
operation of legacy clients :-).

>colormap, except that the server won't do any nearest color matching.  I
>suggest three models would be sufficient:
>
>       -render-colors none     - render uses only BlackPixel and WhitePixel
>       -render-colors few      - render gets 16(?) levels of gray
>       -render-colors default  - render gets a modest number as in current CVS
>
>'few' mode will still be very useful in displaying AA text while consuming
>only a small part of the colormap, while 'none' eliminates any impact on
>the colormap while still permitting applications to accelerate non-AA
>client-side text.

That sounds reasonable to me.  It also simplifies the implementation
(unless we want to be able to set these options per-screen from
the config file).

David