Keith Packard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Around 15 o'clock on Nov 1, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
>
> > What?  Did you just say you're going to delay flushing the data
> > to the server until some time after the retrace happens (there's
> > a significant latency there) and you think the X-server is actually
> > going to execute that almost immediately?
>
> No, that would be crazy.  The SYNC extension permits the client to deliver
> a batch of requests headed by a SYNC request which blocks that client
> until the specified condition is met.

To clear things up, maybe, I think the source of the confusion is that when
you say "blocks that client" it sounds like you're talking about processes
blocking on i/o.

I don't think he means the kernel stops running the client's process, but
rather that the X server stops processing requests from that client, leaving
them queued.

--
greg