Around 16 o'clock on Nov 6, Michel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=E4nzer?= wrote:

> Okay, is there anything wrong with turning the struct for the ioctl into
> a union of a request and a reply struct? :)

That is the usual way, I believe...  Or, you can just build a larger
struct containing both pieces.

> Yes. The blocking ioctl also returns a timestamp, is that important for
> the signal?

Might be nice; there's plenty of space.  Is it expensive to compute?

> Oh, and BTW, is it okay for the ioctl to trigger a single signal, or
> would it have to generate signals indefinitely?

Might want a mode that chose between these two options, but if I had to
pick one, I'd ask for a single signal.  That's what SYNC wants.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab