[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
You keep saying that the resolution can't be changed without editing the
XF86Config file, but the XFree86-Misc extension has made it possible for
years to change that setting on the fly.  It's just a matter of having
a client to interface to that extension and there are a few available,
such as the xmseconfig program that used to be distributed with XFree86.

xset does use the XFree86-Misc extension, but only for changing keyboard
settings.  There's no reason it couldn't be changed to do the same for
the mouse.
That's awesome. That's exactly what I've been looking for. I'll look into it, and if all works out, I'll forward this information to the Gnome folks to get it implemented in something user-visible.