On Son, 2002-11-17 at 23:41, Mukhben Singh wrote:

>       Thanks to all of you for listening and helping. Now since all
> seems to be well, I would be interested to know, why my machine locks up
> with hardware cursor.

I can't give a definite answer but only an educated guess: with the HW
cursor, Silken mouse may also be used, meaning that the cursor position
is updated asynchronously, which may trigger a race condition in the
driver. If this hypothesis is correct, the HW cursor shouldn't lock up
if you start the server with the -nosilk option.

> Also performance wise I am not experiencing any issues with soft cursor.
> Can anyone of you shed some light on the pitfalls or advantages of running
> a sw cursor???

The hardware cursor is smoother (especially with Silken mouse) and less
flickery in general, and there are cases where the software cursor
simply doesn't work correctly (see the recent discussion here about ARGB
cursors).