Michel Dänzer wrote:
> I can't give a definite answer but only an educated guess: with the HW
> cursor, Silken mouse may also be used, meaning that the cursor position
> is updated asynchronously, which may trigger a race condition in the
> driver. If this hypothesis is correct, the HW cursor shouldn't lock up
> if you start the server with the -nosilk option.

What sort of race condition are you thinking of? The HWCursor code in
the driver does no wait's or anything, it just sets a few registers in
the MMIO area.

The HWCursor code in the sis driver is the same since 4.1 and I have
never heard of a _complete_machine_freeze_ (or any other problem) when
using it. Unless there were any changes in the silken mouse stuff in
4.2(.1), I hardly believe that this is hwcursor related.

Thomas

PS: I am developing and maintaining the sis driver since about a year
ago.

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria