On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 01:42, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, George Gopie wrote:
>
> > I have installed Linux Red Hat Advanced Server 2.4.9-e.3 on my intel
> > server with a 64MB nvidia #DGeForce4 Mx440 series  video card. I am
> > unable to get it to work with X. I have down loaded XFRee86 4.0.2  and
> > installed it., but when I try to start the configuration with XFree86
> > -configure i get that the Following:
> > Fatal Server error:
> > XFree86 has found a valid card configuration.
> > Unfortunately the appropriate data has not been added to the
> > xf86PciInfo.h.
> >

>  This card is relatively new and there has been no official XFree86 release
> since that card has come out so there is no official release supporting
> it (certainly not 4.0.2 which is two years old).  You either have
> to build XFree86 from CVS or install the binary drivers from nvidia's
> web site, or *maybe* replacing the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nv_drv.o
> with the one on my web page http://www.xfree86.org/~mvojkovi/nv_drv.o
> will work if you start the server with the -ignoreABI option (ie.
> "startx -- -ignoreABI") - that certainly works with 4.2.0, but I don't
> know about 4.0.2.

Relatively new? - just use the nv driver

I attach my XF86Config if you want to use it (I have a 440mx as well)

It has worked with 4.1 4.2 and cvs - havn't checked 4.0.2 but the nv
driver has been around a while

>                       Mark.
# XFree86 4.0 configuration generated by Xconfigurator

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

# By default, Red Hat Linux 6.0 and later use xfs

Section "Files"
        FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

# Module loading section

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"             # Double-buffering
        Load  "GLcore"          # OpenGL support
        Load  "dri"             # Direct rendering infrastructure
        Load  "glx"             # OpenGL X protocol interface
        Load  "extmod"          # Misc. required extensions
        Load  "v4l"             # Video4Linux
        # Load  "pex5"          # PHIGS for X 3D environment (obsolete)
        # Load  "record"        # X event recorder
        # Load  "xie"           # X Image Extension (obsolete)
        # You only need the following two modules if you do not use xfs.
        # Load  "freetype"       # TrueType font handler
        # Load  "type1"         # Adobe Type 1 font handler
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"