On 26 Nov 2002, mike wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 01:42, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, George Gopie wrote:
> >
> > > I have installed Linux Red Hat Advanced Server 2.4.9-e.3 on my intel
> > > server with a 64MB nvidia #DGeForce4 Mx440 series  video card. I am
> > > unable to get it to work with X. I have down loaded XFRee86 4.0.2  and
> > > installed it., but when I try to start the configuration with XFree86
> > > -configure i get that the Following:
> > > Fatal Server error:
> > > XFree86 has found a valid card configuration.
> > > Unfortunately the appropriate data has not been added to the
> > > xf86PciInfo.h.
> > >

> >  This card is relatively new and there has been no official XFree86 release
> > since that card has come out so there is no official release supporting
> > it (certainly not 4.0.2 which is two years old).  You either have
> > to build XFree86 from CVS or install the binary drivers from nvidia's
> > web site, or *maybe* replacing the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nv_drv.o
> > with the one on my web page http://www.xfree86.org/~mvojkovi/nv_drv.o
> > will work if you start the server with the -ignoreABI option (ie.
> > "startx -- -ignoreABI") - that certainly works with 4.2.0, but I don't
> > know about 4.0.2.
> >

> Relatively new? - just use the nv driver
>
> I attach my XF86Config if you want to use it (I have a 440mx as well)
>
> It has worked with 4.1 4.2 and cvs - havn't checked 4.0.2 but the nv
> driver has been around a while

  I added support for PCI ID 0x0171 "GeForce4 MX 440" on 2001/10/01.
It can't possibly work with 4.1.0, which was released earlier in the
year.  While 0x0171 recognition was in 4.2.0, I only had prelease
boards to run with it.  I know that many modern NV17 boards (maybe most)
do not work with 4.2.0.  Everything should work fine in CVS.  The
"nv" driver doesn't officially support NV17 until after 4.2.0.

                        MArk.