On Sunday 15 December 2002 12:36 am, F. Heitkamp wrote:

[...]
> I usually move the installed XFree to a temporary location before
> attempting a permanent install. i.e. cd /usr/; mv X11R6 X11R6.bak;
> cd /path/to/build; make install;
> If the install goes off without a hitch and the new X runs OK, I
> them move the saved version back and do a make install over the
> top. I've noticed that sometimes even though the make World goes
> off without a hitch the make install will sometimes fail.
>
> Fred

All the Linux distros have some level of customization to the install of
XFree86. If you want to compile/install a different version of XFree86 from
the one that comes in binary form in your distro all you need is to follow
the distro rules to obtain a proper installation.

As an example, I build XFree86 rpm packages for my RedHat 7.3 installation. I
use the spec file from the rawhide packages that Mike Harris maintain as a
start to my own custom spec file.

Or, if you don't want to make packages, simply look at the install stuff from
the package source (pre/post install scripts, custom files, etc) and execute
it by yourself.

- Davor