Thomas Winischhofer writes:
 > Adam Goode wrote:
 > > One last thing I noticed:
 > >
 > > Sometimes XFree86 prints this:
 > > (II) RADEON(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000
 > >
 > > and sometimes this:
 > > (II) RADEON(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03b0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000
 > >
 > > (For the Radeon, hwp->IOBase is sometimes 0x03d0 and sometimes 0x03b0.)
 > >
 > > The SiS is always 0x03d0. Does this mean anything? At first I thought
 > > the Radeon was at was 0x03b0 when it failed, but it turned out that it
 > > can be 0x03b0 even when it works (and 0x03d0 when it fails).
 >
 > 0x3b0 is the IOBase for monochrome mode, 0x3d0 for color mode.
 >
 > The fact that the ati driver chooses the monochrome base might have
 > something to do with reading an incorrect MISC register (which is
 > responsible for choosing either color or mono).

Yes, this is quite likely when the ATi Card isn't posted correctly.
If the card is secondary and the Xserver cannot find the BIOS this
is quite likely.

 > Perhaps I am mislead myself, but shouldn't this setup require RAC (which
 > is not being used according to the log)?

Hm, not necessarily. Depends on how the resources are registered.

The real question is why isn't the BIOS found?
I fixed a PCIROM read problem in the ATi Radeon driver
a while ago, this fix should be in CVS, though.
I don't have the log so I cannot check if this says
something about the nature of the BIOS problems.

Egbert.