On 15-11-16 17:56, Kim Briggs wrote:
I am a little confused at the status of the file manager Thunar in
Xubuntu 16.04.  This release has a description of "Long Term Support",
but as far as I can tell, the file manager has been crashing when
renaming files for about a year now!?

For years I loved Dolphin after bad experiences. If you install it today you'll find out it is a disgrace under Xubuntu. Thunar: not a disgrace, but yes, I recognize that behaviour, it drove me mad, well, not that bad. It was the reason to toss Thunar out half a year ago, after waiting for that magic bug fix that did not come and tired of $_mv. Right now I am using pcmanfm. Is it fantastic? No, if you perform many drag-drop actions with large files simultaneously, it will crash too. But at least I can rename my files again and under normal circumstances it is quite stable.

Seriously, give pcmanfm a try. And best of this one: There is dual pane support (F3) which is a time saver.

All full feature file browsers have their weak spots and changing them from time to time seems to be unavoidable.