Hi Uri,

Real Unix Men were once little children too, and passed through various stages as they developed their magical powers in dealing with xubuntu or more in general unix. Others, though, became Real Expert Men in other areas, never having had the time or the motivation to learn other OSs than a 1960s IBM system or the cos that came with the Cray7600 in the 1970s. Then, when it came time to learn new magic with linux and xubuntu, they must use a walker in unix land and count on the Real Unix Men to help them cross the street or whatever else might cause difficulty if they mess up.

So, my reaction was intended to gently remind the experts that this list is lurked on by all kinds, from experts who contribute to those who want to more than to find glimmers of insight or stimulus to explore a little and learn from it. For the latter it is best not to assume too much knowledge, e.g., an active knowledge of what $PATH is for. Instead, it is more helpful to be explicit in the commands that are needed to make things work even if these are very basic. That's how many people learn, by repetition
ad nauseam.

Really helpful is Ulli's correction to where I put the path to the fstools-0.0 directory. When I first did it, I vaguely remembered something about PATH in .bashrc. So I looked where to add to the $PATH variable, and I noticed a reminder to myself that it should be put in .bash_aliases. When I looked there I did find another addition to $PATH, so I added it there. Thanks to Ulli, I realized that I should have put it in .profile, so I did that and added a note to myself reminding me what .bashrc, .bash_aliases and .profile are for. Then I might do it properly when the next time to do this rolls along. Maybe 2018...,
or never. but then again who knows.

Trying to learn some more, I tried sudo apt get install sw,
and sudo apt-get install swtools, but nothing useful happend. So I gave up, since I don't really need any of this right now and I have other things to do, like listening
to  songs on youtube with my grandchild.

Be this what it may, thanks to Ulli and others who make it worthwhile to lurk on xubuntu-users.

Nino