On Mon 2017-01-09 (17:03), pereira wrote:

> Another post mentioned that your way of doing it is not necessarily

Which way?

> You mention putting them in /opt: the problem is then that they
> disappear  when you install a new version from scratch, so  now I put
> them under
> /home (and, I'm the only  user on my system).

/home also disappears when you install a new version from scratch.

Before you do a new installation you should make a backup.

And there are more users on your systen, at least there is user root.
When you install additional software in your $HOME/bin, then user root has
it not his $PATH.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK