On 07/12/2017 05:58 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:31:57 +0800, Guang Chao wrote:
>> no one is paid
>
> Hi,
>
> JFTR "free" is for "libre", not for "gratis".

An important point, often missed.

There *are* a few people paid...there are some Open Source based
companies whose work involves implementation, but where some of the work
is also development, and some where employees can spend time on
development of selected packages. But there are not many.

The biggest difference is that without a marketing department, there is
hardly anyone to get out there and sell the concept of Open Source full
time (we are all evangelists, fortunately); and without a usability
department, there is no-one to enforce rules about interaction design
(you listening, GIMP?) or uniformity of interface behaviour (most devs
try hard, but they need more support).

///Peter