On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Joao Monteiro <jmonteiro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> MR, can you please clarify me what "to bottom post" means, as I don't want
> to break any etiquette. And also what FOSS means.

Bottom posting is what almost everyone this list does - reply
underneath the original post so as to preserve the proper visual order
of entries.

FOSS - Free Open Source Software.  Google is handy for simple
questions like this.

> As for your reply... yes, to a great extent you are right. But what many in
> the linux world don't like or wish to acknowledge, is that another reason
> might be the countless disjointed distros... and nobody to explain to them
> that they can ignore the userland and focus on the kernel only, as their
> aplication will after all be just another userland running on it... if I'm
> understanding this whole thing right, that is...

It's just more work for little perceived return.  The Linux desktop
market is miniature compared to Windows and MAC.  OTOH, there are
hundreds of Android apps for all different versions and level of
Android OS.  Most apps for Linux built on one system tend to be
compatible with others within a certain range of kernel releases.
Given that there are two main paid support systems (Red Hat and SuSE),
covering those and also Debian/Ubuntu/Mint would include the majority
of distros without too much effort, but the ROI isn't high.