Hi

but one of my requirements is that the users of my app
will be able to reconfigure the GUI to their liking.

Is this possible with XUL by letting users alter the
XML files?

a firefox-only answer: users can 'configure' their toolbars in firefox.
its much like the "customize toolbar" in the firefox menu itself.

since anything can be on a toolbar, its pretty powerfull. all you have
to do is write the toolbar and its elements, and define which
elements are shown by default. the rest is up to firefox and the user.
no need to have the user edit the xml.

if you'd put an observer on the toolbar.currentSet attribute, you could change
other parts of the gui when users change their toolbar, if you like.

http://www.xulplanet.com/references/elemref/ref_toolbar.html#attr_customizable
http://www.xulplanet.com/references/elemref/ref_toolbarpalette.html

as for design, what your app looks like depends
on the users' theme, ofcourse. or you could supply  themes
with your app.

$2c,
*pike