On Flickr, when somebody adds you to their contacts, you get a note that
says "If you don't know [username], [username] is probably a fan of your
photos or wants a bookmark so they can find you again. There is no
obligation for you to reciprocate, unless you want to." This is true on
del.icio.us too: when somebody adds you to their network, it's usually a
small expression of interest in what you're bookmarking - the person
just wants an easy way to see your public bookmarks. Does that help
explain the current network/fans system? We can try to make that message
more clear on the website.

We originally didn't include a list of "fans" on network pages at all,
partly to avoid the impression of a popularity contest, but we found
that people were curious about who was paying attention to their
bookmarks.

Britta
del.icio.us community manager intern