On 26 Feb 2024, at 11:51, miriam.rico via lists.yoctoproject.org
<miriam.rico=enigmedia...@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to Yocto and I'm trying to compile the VPP code. I have a
> recipe that all it does is download the code from the official repository and
> tries to compile it (i'm trying to compile 23.10 stable version). This code
> has a lot of dependencies, among them dpdk. The code downloads these
> dependencies in tar.gz files and then compiles the code for each of them. But
> when it gets to the dpdk dependency, I get the same error every time. Here is
> the error:
>
> /home/user/Yocto/build/tmp/work/core2-64-poky-linux/vpp-test/23.10-r0/git/build/external/downloads/meson-0.55.3.tar.gz
> | Traceback (most recent call last):
> |   File
> "/home/enigmedia/Yocto/build/tmp/work/core2-64-poky-linux/vpp-test/23.10-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/bin/pip3",
>  line 7, in <module>
> |     from pip._internal.cli.main import main
> | ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pip'
>
> From what I have been able to find out, the dpdk dependency generates a
> python virtual environment and executes a series of commands. I have tried to
> launch theses commands manually and there has been no problem, however, when
> I try to launch the recipe via bitbake, I get the above error.
>
> Here is the vpp.bb recipe:

Respectfully, this recipe is confused.

>   AUTOTOOLS_SCRIPT_PATH = "${S}/src"

This directory doesn’t contain any autotools files:
https://github.com/FDio/vpp/tree/stable/2310/src

>   DEPENDS += "openssl numactl curl-native cmake-native nasm-native
> python3-native python3-pip python3-ply-native ninja-native m4-native
> zlib-native binutils-native elfutils-native libpcap libbpf apt systemd
> bpftrace util-linux"

>   inherit autotools pkgconfig python3-dir python3native

There’s a “configure” script but that is not autotools, so don’t inherit
autotools. That configure script seems to be a wrapper around calling cmake,
which we already have a class for.

>   do_compile () {
>         cd ${S}
>         oe_runmake build-release
> }

I suggest ignoring that Makefile entirely, as it’s trying to install
dependencies on the system which is entirely the wrong thing to do in a managed
build.  I’d try seeing if it is possible to just inherit cmake and set
OECMAKE_SOURCEPATH=${S}/src.

Ross