On 2014-05-12 07:56, Paul McGougan wrote:
From: Bruce Ashfield [mailto:bruce.ashfi...@windriver.com]
Secondly, (and this is our main issue) I have found that by adding the
do_install_append function, even if it is completely empty, whenever I
try to bitbake anything that depends on the kernel, that bitbake always
re-runs the kernel install stage, even when there have been no changes.
Literally I can run a bitbake, then run the same bitbake command again,
and both times the kernel install stage gets run (this is a problem
because it takes a long time to run). It appears to be happening because
the stampfile is not found every time (the hash appears to be wrong).
Is this a bug? Is there a fix or work-around for this problem?
In this front, I'm not the best reference. Checking the sstate signature
might help, it should show which variables are being used .. and possibly
invalidating the signature, triggering the steps to run again.
Thanks Bruce.

Just for reference of anyone else who runs into a similar issue our issue was:
1. The do_install_append function was not *really* empty, the content of it
was commented out.

To me, Thats sound like a bug in the dependency parser.
It should not parse for changes in comments, i.e. in this case do_install_append comments.

Or perhaps in variable expansion, which could be avoided in commented sections.

Br,
David