Hi David.

Yes, I agree that the dependency parser should be altered.

I would suggest your 2nd suggestion would be the most appropriate, i.e. do not
perform variable expansion in commented lines.

Regards,
Paul

Confidentiality Notice:  This message (including attachments) is a private
communication solely for use of the intended recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient(s) or believe you received this message
in error, notify the sender immediately and then delete this
message.  Any other use, retention, dissemination or copying is prohibited and
may be a violation of law, including the Electronic
Communication Privacy Act of 1986."