So we have our own .bbappend at https://github.com/webOS-ports/meta-webos-ports/blob/krogoth/meta-luneos/recipes-connectivity/ofono/ofono_git.bbappend where we specify the different repo etc to use.

This doesn't apply 1:1 in your case, but you could simply add a protobuf_3.0.0.bb in your own layer and it should build that instead. Just make sure you have your layer at a higher position compared to meta-openembedded in your bblayers.conf

Herrie

On 2016-09-01 11:34, Pietro wrote:
Maciej Borzęcki
<maciej.borze...@rndity.com> writes:

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Pietro <pulsarpie...@posteo.net> wrote:
Maciej Borzęcki
<maciej.borze...@rndity.com> writes:

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 6:44 PM, Pietro <pulsarpie...@posteo.net> wrote:
Hi all,

I am new to the Yocto building system and I could be talking nonsense. I used to work with buildroot time ago and I remember there is an area where compiled software/packages/tools previously built are "staged" and
used when building other packages.

Is there something like that available with Yocto ? Specifically I would like to add a package which uses the Google Protocol Buffer, I do not have administrator rights on the machine and I can't install the packages I
need system wise.

Is it possible to add recipes and use them at building time without
including them in the image being generated ?

A good example for that would be the protoc, the protocol buffer description
file compiler.

There is a recipe for protobuf in meta-oe (2.6.1). All you need to do,
is include meta-oe in your layers (bblayers.conf) and have
protobuf-native listed in DEPENDS inside your package recipe.

The protoc compiler will be available in the PATH when package is
being built, so autotools checks like AC_CHECK_PROG/AC_PATH_PROG
should be able to find it.

Cheers,
--
Maciej Borzecki
RnDity

I have added the DEPENDS line and it indeed downloads and build the some
protobuf related stuff, where did you get the dependency name from ?
I can't see the protobuf-native as a recipe in the meta-oe website :

https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layer/meta-oe/

It's just a mechanism that allows for building the native (i.e. for
the host) packages, and these are autmatically named ${PN}-native.
There should a BBCLASSEXTEND = "..native.." stanza inside the protobuf
recipe that enables this feature.

I have just realised that GRPC (http://www.grpc.io/) is needed for my
project, it is a library which uses the protobuffers, is there a
recipe/package which provides them around or do I need to create my own
recipe ?

You can try searching for a recipe at http://layers.openembedded.org
If there's none, try to write your own. This might be a good changes
to get yourself acquainted with `devtool` tool that will help you in
the process.

I would like to check the root filesystem being generated as part of the
build process, where is it ?

${TMPDIR}/<machine>_<distro?>/<imagename>/../rootfs

for instance, for my current build:

tmp/work/vexpress_qemu-poky-linux-gnueabi/core-image-minimal/1.0-r0/rootfs

--
Maciej Borzecki
RnDity

Thanks, much appreciated.

Do you know where the software which is not included in the image - such
us protoc - is it stored ?

It turns out the recipe for the protobuffer uses version 2.6 while I
would need version 3.0.0 to be used, is there a way to partially
"override" a recipe ?

http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-oe/recipes-devtools/protobuf/protobuf_2.6.1.bb?h=master

Thanks a lot.
P.