Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

On Jan 1, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Lars Kühne wrote:

OK, I've started the OrbConfiguration page.

However, I think that ultimately such information depends on the ORB version, so it would be better to have it in svn, along with the code it documents.

As a user, I would expect that this info is be part of the product download, and it's not clear to me how to do this. The technical problems of creating a snapshot from Maven might be solvable, but how do we handle the IP issues when non-committers contribute to the wiki?

Anyway, I've started collecting the information in the wiki for now, as you suggested.

Storing documentation in a wiki is a standard ASF practice.

I'm not at all opposed to that, quite the contrary. It's great to have docs on the wiki, and I would love to see more, especially developer documentation, technical overviews, and such.

It's just that I'd like to see some of the docs inside the tarball as well. As a user, this means that when I download and use the product I can be sure that I'll always have access to the exact documentation. Nobody will ever delete it while I still use the product, which may happen if the docs are only available in a wiki (or any other website for that matter).

Take the Apache Derby download for example. That zip includes a reference guide which (among other things) lists the SQLStates. Very version specific and will change from release to release, so I like it that no one can delete that info from under my feed in the future.

Maybe I'm paranoid ;-)

The whole point of having the wiki is to let the community to contribute to the documentation. IIUC, committers are not necessarily the IP guardians. Committers are people who can competently integrate code and patches into the code base.

My understanding was that "we" (PPMC/commiters) should ensure that we don't include stuff in our release tarball that we legally cannot distribute. See my response to Geir for details.

Geronimo does a great job at handling versions, http://cwiki.apache.org/geronimo/.

As far as I can see you have a confluence space for each version of Geronimo. We only have one "space" (or whatever it's called in MoinMoin) available for Yoko, so I'm not sure how we could mimic what you did for Geronimo.

Regards,
Lars