On Thursday 28 September 2006 02:27, Tobias Gerschner wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Petter please correct me here, if I got you wrong:
>
> pettern did ask me in the forum whether I agree to disable / certain
> parts of the forums to get users into using the bugtracker.
>
> I actually do not care. I see petter's point, but from my POV people
> won't use the bugtracker when we remove appropriate forum sections.
> They would stopped talking to us. Which is bad.
>
> Maybe I see it to simple but imho that's how people are.
>
> Just my 2 cents. After all I am not a forum guy and I'd prefer having
> more people actively using the bugtracker . No idea how to enforce
> that though. Maybe another good point for the yet unscheduled meeting.
>

> regards

My own view is that users will report issues in the forum whatever choice they
are given.
Some tag their problems onto a more general message - there are plenty of
messages like that in the forums, others use the forum purely to report
issues.
Although the bugtracker exists, many people seem to avoid using it. Those team
members who use the forum regularly often suggest using the bugtracker - I
did it this morning myself before seeing this post - but members still post
their problems on the forum.
Why? Well, my view is either that they have missed/ignored the existance of
the bugtracker, or that they prefer the more instant feedback which the forum
gives. If I had an issue with a specific thing in Yoper 2.91, as a user I may
feel posting in the forum will get me the answer today - even if it is only a
workround. The bugtracker is more of a longer term thing - yes, the instant
workround will get me going, but the issue is more likely to be fixed in the
next release if I report to the bugtracker.
That I think is the answer - instant fix/workround=forum, permanent
fix=bugtracker.

I would be reluctant to restrict the forum - stickies and regular reminders
are fine, although I still suspect members will use the forum to elicit
instant cures.  We, as the forum regulars, should help there and then with
workrounds if we can, but add them to the bugtracker if the member fails to
do so.

Just my own thoughts on the ideas :)

Mark