On Thursday 28 September 2006 13:27, Chakkaradeep C C wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 9/28/06, Tobias Gerschner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > pettern did ask me in the forum whether I agree to disable / certain
> > parts of the forums to get users into using the bugtracker.
>
> Please do remember that we cant force people and ask them to use
> Bugtrakcer.
>

> The Bugs Section is also not utilized properly in the Forums. I think the
> thing which confuses people is *General Yoper Support* + *Software Issues*
> + *Hardware Issues* and below lies *Bugs*. So, what does this *Bugs*
> section should have ?
>
> IMO, the *BUGS* section should be the parent for *Software
> Issues*+*Hardware Issues*+*Yoper Support* and *General Yoper Support and
> Discussion* can be renamed to *General Yoper Discussion*.And moreover, we
> have *Unresolved Issues*. Just note how many places to post :)
>
> I like the way Freespire Forum <http://forum.freespire.org> is organised.
> Just have a look.
>
> I actually do not care. I see petter's point, but from my POV people
>
> > won't use the bugtracker when we remove appropriate forum sections.
> > They would stopped talking to us. Which is bad.
>
> Yes, Forums should be there along with whatever bug report tool is
> available.

Is it not the case that the old bugs section referred to 2.x issues - i.e
before we had the bugtracker?
The fact that we currently have 3 versions of Yoper "in the wild" helps to
confuse the issue. Many posts - bug ones and general "how do I .." posts fail
to indicate the Yoper version which is being used.
I would think the best way forward would be to look at the forum with the
intention of seperating the 2.1 and 2.2.0-6 versions from the upcoming 3.
Whether we should do that before releasing v3 I am not sure. Technically, the
only "stable" release is 2.1. Both 2.2.0-6 and 2.91 are "testing" releases -
but both are totally different, with 2.2.0-6 being closer to 2.1.
When v3 is about to be released, it would be a good time to seperate the 2.x
releases from v3 - with the forum being seperated out as far as issues are
concerned - obviously, announcements etc are relevant to all.
Chaks' comments about the excessive areas to post are valid - this could be
incorporated into the v3 section I expect. To do this for the current forum
would not be practical - it would mean sifting through all posts to sort them
into the relevant categories.
It has been suggested in the past that we could do a similar thing to that
which Bongoots did when 2.1 came out - i.e shift all previous posts into an
archive section. That is possible - but, with 2.1 and 2.2 being the most
commonly used Yoper versions at present, I think it would be unwise to move
them for at least 6 months after the official release of v3.

Mark