Hi Glenn,

Sounds good - that is, the DAT copy of the full show. I've only got an (old, cheap) audio cassette of the original vinyl bootleg (presumably), so it does not sound too hot, as you can imagine.
I wouldn't mind having a copy of this sometime. My FZ list can be found on the Group site.
Today I might start 'experimenting' with 'converting' old analogue audio cassettes to new dgitial format - any tips or advice? I don't really have a clue as to what to do. I'm going to use one of the following applications/programmes:

1. Nero Wave Editor
2. CD Wave
3. Steonberg-WaveLab
4. Sound Forge

What do you recommend, if anything?
Cheers,
Danny

Glen Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've been thinking about this show the last couple of days.

This is,of course the show from which the Titties & Beer vinyl boot is
taken.
I've always been a great fan of this boot since I heard it many years ago
and now have it on cdr from a direct vinyl transfer with audible vinyl
clicks and pops (although not too bad).

Anyway,I have a huge cd collection and none of it in any order so I'm never
too sure what will come out.
I was looking through some discs the other day and pulled out the complete
show which I'd forgotten I had.
I seem to remember trading this with someone in Scandinavia but I can't
remember exactly.
I have a printed paper note inside the jewel case which lists lineage as;
Aud Master>DAT @ 48KHz>M-Audio Audiophile 24/96>WAV>R8Brain Resample from
48KHz to 44.1KHz>FLAC>cdr.
The guy I got it from states he did not do the DAT transfer himself and
thinks there *may* be an analog gen somewhere in the lineage.

What I'm wondering is this.
Is the source for the vinyl boot and the dat tape the same or different ?
I've tried comparing the two and it's hard to tell.
For example,on the dat there is some fairly loud clapping at the start of
Dong Work For Yuda which is very hard to hear on the vinyl copy.
It could just be that with compression (?) used for a vinyl release some of
the detail on the dat just would get buried maybe.
If the two sources are different it would seem odd that two very similar
sounding tapes should emerge from the same show recorded way back in
77......it would almost be like you had two guys with identical tape decks
sat very close to each other.

The other oddity are the cuts.
My copy is complete (as far as I can tell) apart from a cut at the end of
Titties & Beer into the first few seconds of Serviette Noir.This cut does
not appear on the vinyl boot.
The cut is a good couple of minutes which seems over long for a tape flip.

Also reading the review of the show on the Shall We Trade Our Tapes
Seriously site it mentions a cut in Pound just as Bozzio's solo gets going.
I can't detect this on my copy.

On this site the quality is rated as B+ but I'd say the DAT is a good A- and
better than the vinyl.The vinyl tends to be a bit
louder/distorted/overloaded in places while the DAT is quieter but with more
detail.

Anyone else have this out there or a complete copy,it's worth getting for
Black Napkins alone and Jobson's electric violin solo.

Best,
Glen

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here