I tend to believe that Vipassana and Zen are meditation-practice paths
directed toward achieving the same or similar mind-states, or
mind-states that are slightly different.

Depending on objectives, one practice-path may work bettter than
another, for any specific individual.

For humans, it appears not to be the case that 'there is only one way'.

--ED



--- In [email protected], "Bill!" <BillSmart@...> wrote:
>
> Siska,
>
> I don't really know what 'nyanas' are, but from what I've gleaned from
reading the posts about them on this forum I'd say that Japanese Zen
Buddhism does not teach these. That is not to say there aren't some
strange and interesting things that happen on the way to realizing
Buddha Nature, but there is not a categorization or heirarchy of steps
you need (or might) go through to reach kensho/satori.
>
> I would say all 'nyanas' as described below are illusory - maya, and
advise anyone praticing zazen to 'just keep sitting'. I think the
appropriate zen teaching analogy about how to deal with things like
these is:
>
> 'If you are engaged in something very important and a friend knocks on
your door you should answer the door, acknowledge your friend but tell
him you're busy and ask him to come back later. Don't invite him in for
tea.'
>
> ...Bill!



Reply via email to