I consider myself to be a practicing Christian and a zen trainee. I find that 
zen practice makes it easier to fulfill the promises of Christianity. To love 
one another; to treat others as I wish to be treated.; these things flow much 
more naturally when the self is broken down a bit and detached from the center 
of experience. 

Even to sit in church and just listen, pray, and sing is something I do more 
wholeheartedly as I sit zazen more. 

Neither activity, zen training nor Christian worship, seems to me to be 
fundamentally about my thoughts or my beliefs, and so do not seem to be in the 
category of things which might contradict one another. 

Thanks, 
Chris Austin-Lane 
Sent from a cell phone

On Jul 20, 2011, at 6:33, Barb Jordan <[email protected]> wrote:

> 
> 
> Greetings,
> A Finger Pointing at the Moon…Christianity or Zen.
> What I have experienced on my journey is that Christianity and Zen are but 
> fingers pointing to the truth. I came into Zen after following Christianity 
> most of my life. I found the Truth to be hidden deeply in Christianity and it 
> wasn’t until I came to Zen that I could understand it. I believe there are 
> prophets for the day and there is a religion for different cultures, but they 
> are all fingers pointing to the truth. We have to discover the Truth 
> ourselves.
>  This verse comes to my mind
> For the creative imagination to be particularly active,
> the water must be fetched,
> and drunk fresh from the spring
> if it is to flow through us
> and quicken our hidden mythological talents.
>  
> Karl-Kerenyi
>  
> Peace,
> Barb
> 
> 
> 

Reply via email to