I am sure I am merely stumbling over your words, but that does not sound 
correct to me. Eating is eating. Shopping is shopping. Reading Science News 
weekly to keep up on the hunting of tuna to extirpation is reading Science News 
weekly. 

We should by all means attend to reality when we eat, shop whole heartedly, and 
stay informed as citizens of a global and technological society, but these are 
quite different. 

Perhaps I am oversensitive here, because I perhaps over value the sacredness of 
simply eating. To share food with your friends, to take stuff that is offered 
from "out there" and move it right on "in here", to respond to hunger, to know 
taste and smell and texture, I would hate to miss this because I am thinking 
about the principles of sustainable living. 

Thanks,
Chris Austin-Lane
Sent from a cell phone

On Jul 27, 2011, at 1:05, Maria Lopez <[email protected]> wrote:

> 
> 
> Chris:
> Eating in mindfulness involves everything including reading the labels 
> contains of the food we purchase, procedence, source, ingredients....and this 
> is a direct teaching about eating by TNH.  I was doing that anyway but I was 
> glad to hear that TNH feels alike myself here.  With the difference that his 
> standard up of eating is a lot of more sophisticate than mine.
> Mayka
> 
> --- On Wed, 27/7/11, ChrisAustinLane <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> From: ChrisAustinLane <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: [Zen] Need help with the fear of death
> To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> Cc: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> Date: Wednesday, 27 July, 2011, 8:08
> 
> My point was more that eating mindfully is not the same as knowing stuff like 
> where the farms are or what goes into Tilapia production or shrimp 
> production. Eating and maintaining awareness as a form of practice is not the 
> same as responsible shopping or whatever. 
> 
> Thanks,
> Chris Austin-Lane
> Sent from a cell phone
> 
> On Jul 26, 2011, at 23:44, Maria Lopez <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Chris:
>> One thing is to protect our self body and health and therefore kill bacteria 
>> because is damaging ones health and a different thing is not to be aware of 
>> what we ingest.  Reducing or lessen suffering in a different forms of life 
>> is the real issue here. 
>> Mayka
>> 
>> --- On Tue, 26/7/11, Anthony Wu <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> From: Anthony Wu <[email protected]>
>> Subject: Re: [Zen] Need help with the fear of death
>> To: [email protected]
>> Date: Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, 22:43
>> 
>>  
>> How about bacteria? I don't remember whether they belong to the animal or 
>> plant kingdom. But they 'feel' the pain when confronted with medicine and 
>> react quickly by transformation into a drug resistant species. So don't kill 
>> bacteria.
>>  
>> Anthony
>> 
>> --- On Tue, 26/7/11, Chris Austin-Lane <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> From: Chris Austin-Lane <[email protected]>
>> Subject: Re: [Zen] Need help with the fear of death
>> To: [email protected]
>> Date: Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, 9:11 AM
>> 
>>  
>> Everwalked around a forest near an area where land was cleared for a farm?  
>> I think one could argue that on some appropriate time scale there is 
>> suffering in a distressed forest.
>> I think it is time to give up notions of purity or impurity. 
>> Please note that I am generally vegetarian but when offered only meat that 
>> will be thrown away if I do not eat it, I will eat it.
>>> On Jul 25, 2011 3:40 PM, "Edgar Owen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> There is an obvious difference between plants and animals. Animals suffer 
>>> and experience pain. Plants do have automatic protective and response 
>>> mechanisms but no one would argue that they feel pain. That argument is 
>>> used by evil doers to justify killing and eating animals.
>>> 
>>> Edgar
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On Jul 25, 2011, at 5:53 PM, Anthony Wu wrote:
>>> 
>>> >  
>>> >
>>> > Edgar,
>>> >  
>>> > Your remarks echoe Bill's s...
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
>>> reading! Talk about it t...
>> 
> 
> 
> 

Reply via email to