Chris,

Dunno if I have praised it.  I doubt it.  But I have been "raised from the
dead" by it, numerous times.  Only in the form of coffee.  And kept up late at
Nights (my Days) at telescopes at Observatories worldwide by it.

Caffeine has nothing to do with "consciousness".  It is a mere stimulant.  And,
tasty and satisfying and hydrating (although a diuretic) in a vehicle of
"Coffee" (Black, please; no sugar).  Note, I do not ingest caffeine in a
purified or concentrated extract.  No No-Doze.  Is caffeine a drug, no matter
how delivered?  Yes.

When preparing for sesshin (or Ch'an retreats), I go off all caffeine
completely for at least ten days before attending.  I also change my diet of
food.  On sesshin, I eat little, and never drink caffeine.  After sesshin, I
usually note I have lost 5 pounds (following a 7- or 10-day sit): the reason is
that I eat very little, and like to remain light and hungry when doing that
work intensively, and serving the sangha as a Leader.  The belly growls, from
mild hunger, and from the action of Chi.  Some meals, I sit- through without
eating, esp. late in the retreat.  This is very enabling, and compassionate to
others, because my practice is better.

The Dinner meal is optional, anyway, on Ch'an retreat: it is called "Medicine":
usually, only infirm people or old people partake of it.

I like pea-berry bean coffees.  Usually medium-roast.  Also like a fine
Mocha-Java blend.  In normal walking-around life, I like my two or three cups a
day.  On Ch'an retreats, no coffee is available.  Neither is Black Tea.  This
makes everyone's practice better.  Especially after the third day when
"the-addicted" headaches pass.  I go there clean.  By long experience.

--Joe