Mike,

I make no blueprints for touchstones for others.  Not my business.

But I know that, if once your nervous system is opened by practice, drugs can
hold no further sway over you.  The reason is that they cannot support states
for very long.  Whereas... effective practice is a means of keeping awake for
many months, or years; and then, continuous practice, without intermittence,
can keep you going longer.

Shamans are not to the point, because they are not Zen Buddhists.  What they
failed to discover is not our fault.  We should not take up their palliatives.

Our culture is different from theirs, from the point at which it begins to be
different.  Which is long, long, long ago!  Leave it!

We're luckier.

--Joe