Chris,

That's interesting.  Probably only in the recent book of his I've heard you
name does he do that(?).

Not everybody in the West who comes to Zen practice is going to be thrilled by
talk of "God", in any connection.  But they can just avoid buying his book.  ;-)

I've never heard of anyone trivializing "Buddha Nature".  If anything, they
trivialize "God": and that's why they've left the religion of their father (or
mother, if they are Jewish).

Having not attained One-Mind (most Christians and Jews and Muslims are not
mystical practitioners, unfortunately), they don't have the experience of God,
and carry only the cultural transmission of a God-influence in family, society,
and History, and through worship gatherings.

Experience of No-Mind, Buddha Mind, Buddha Nature, Zen-Mind, Nirmanakaya, etc.,
names for the same experience, does not cause one to de-value the experience of
others who met God, and lived in One-Mind state for a while, or live as such
now, but it certainly dissuades us from staying there, at One-Mind.

Not that it's a bad state.  It's just that, once you have lived with Zen-Mind,
you know One-Mind for what it is.  Again, it's not bad, though.  But it does
not bewitch you, and cannot: One just keeps practicing.

A happy Father's Day to you, Old Man!

--Joe