Suresh,

Your approach seems good, and practical.

I suppose there is a large weight of comfort in shared tradition, and in
communal acceptance of outcomes, due to the understanding of karma that people
hold.  Perhaps "comfort" is not nearly the correct word, in the dire
circumstances, however.

In the Zen Buddhist tradition, although there is also an acceptance of an
understanding of karma, one (a Person, a Practitioner; a Culture; a Country;
or, a World!) must still work for a changed outcome, and not simply accept
where karma has BROUGHT you, up to today.  In other words, one must (1.) admit
the problem; (2.) take responsibility; and (3.) one must work devotedly.

For example, even if one's "personal" karma has been very *GOOD* -- and allowed
you to be born as a Human Being, and further, allowed you to find the traces to
Zen Buddhism so that you might practice with a good teacher, and sangha --
nonetheless, one must still indeed practice, NOW.  In other words, even GOOD
karma CANNOT BREAK NEW GROUND.  One must stand on the ground of one's good
karma and break new ground for oneself, and for all Beings.  Well, that is the
Mahayana Buddhist view, and program -- of which Zen Buddhism partakes.

By the way, there is no conflict or inconsistency in Zen Buddhism between the
notion of the non-existence of a personal self, and yet the notion of a
reincarnation due to karma, or a "survival" of karma.

This is especially easy to see however, in the karma of a Collective, such as a
Culture, a Country, or a World.  Often, prior acts of a Tribe or a Culture come
to "define" it, and give it a lasting character, which lasts and evolves a very
long time, for tens or hundreds of generations.  And the acts of a Country do
the same.  Ditto, a World (but your view has to be very broad, there to see
this).

For the karma of an Individual, the Zen Buddhist understanding is taken and
shared from Yogacara Buddhism, in which this karma is stored in the Alaya
Vijnana.  A brilliantly successful model!  But Yogacara is not just a
Philosophical system: it is (was...) also a school of Practice.  Its teaching
and transmission lineages have all died out, however.

The way you summarize and describe your view here is very clear, and very
accessible.  It has considerable "power".  I hope you will have good success
communicating the view at your other forums, also.  I think there is much
respect in India for Science and technology, and more and more with time, and
people not only understand karma, but also the mechanisms of general "cause and
effect".

Perhaps a more "scientific" view of karma can be found in Yogacara Buddhist
philosophy: will you take a look at it?  You may be able to incorporate a bit
of it, and its terminology, in your posts to traditional Hindus.  I don't know
if this will help!  It seems as if you have a good facility with plain ordinary
language, anyway.

Still, the Yogacara model might interest you personally.

Continued good success!,

--Joe