Mike,

I did at one time study Zen Buddhism.  I was a formal student (every day)
starting in the late 1960's for about 5 years, a part-time student (a couple
times a week) for about 5 more and a remote student (corresponded and visited a
couple times a year)until the mid 1990's.
Although we were given some instruction in Buddhism proper the focus was zen,
and in my case koan study and shikantaza.

My first zen master was a lay zen master, which means he was not a Buddhist
priest.  He purposely chose not to be a priest because he thought the then
Japanese Zen Buddhist priesthood was corrupt.  Once when it the time for the
periodic Jukai ceremony (ordination to become a Buddhist) I told him I could
not be in town then and asked him if it was necessary for me to become a
Buddhist to continue my koan study with him. He told me it was not necessary
and that I should only take the precepts if I felt compelled to do so.  I
didn't go through Jukai then and never have.  We never mentioned it again,
although when he returned to Japan (he was very old) and I was passed onto to
his dharma-successor I think he must have briefed him on this because this 2nd
zen master never asked me about Jukai.

...Bill!