Hal, Bill!,<br/><br/>I guess counting the breath is 'bread and butter' for most
people starting out (and also for seasoned meditators). I have found, however,
that the meditation on the breath as taught in the sutras says nothing
whatsoever about counting our breaths. Instead, we just focus on the breath
entering and leaving the nostrils. This works for me much better than counting
because counting can soon become a mantra taking our focus away from the body.
Actual bodily sensations are our doorway into reality rather than concepts