re shikantaza,

i have had this experience and when new to sitting meditation i freaked out
a bit and became afraid i would just
stop breathing.  After more practice the realization came that just as i do
not control the blood that courses through
my body or cause my own heart to beat i was safe from the mistaken belief
that my breath would just stop and i
would topple over and die.

i realize you are asking something different then what i posted about my
own practice,
and with my own practice, meditation became and becomes more fluid with
less thinking about form or outcome.