On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Martin Sustrik <sust...@250bpm.com> wrote:
> Pieter Hintjens wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Peter Alexander <vel.ac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://travlr.github.com/zeromq2/
>>
>> Peter, it looks really nice and this looks like the right way to host
>> the generated source code docs.
>
> There are several possible advantages of this:
>
> 1. Things like class hierarchies and generated call graphs can make it
> easier for new people to catch up with the architecture of the product.
>
> 2. If made public, it's an incentive to write the comments in a way that
> makes sense even without seeing the actual code, i.e. more clear and
> coherent, giving more context.
>
> 3. Looking at some graphs
> (http://travlr.github.com/zeromq2/classzmq_1_1socket__base__t.html)
> makes you think about how the architecture can be simplified.
>
> As for the actual publishing of the docs, I've been thinking about it a
> bit and here are my thoughts:
>
> 1. It doesn't make sense to distribute the generated docs with the
> package. Packages are for users. Users don't need detailed code
> documentation. Developers, on the other hand, are presumably not using
> packages, rather checking out the recent version from trunk.

Its not needed by users because zeromq is beautiful in api simplicity.
I don't even think it needs to be distributed with trunk (maybe just
the Doxyfile config file). Web based public access would suffice.

> 2. The documentation has to tightly correspond to the version you are
> developing otherwise it can do more harm than good.

Publicly, only for mainline development snapshots (zeromq/zeromq2 --
master). My thought was to either have a commit hook (if possible) to
automatically update/generate the hosted doc per commit, or to have a
local script and a cron job to update/generate on a timely basis like
once a day or so.