On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Martin Sustrik <sust...@250bpm.com> wrote:

> It's up to Pieter whether he wants to maintain 3-0 further.
> Pieter, what do you think?

/me was expecting this to bounce back to me. I'm going to bounce this
back to the community since the only rationale for maintaining a
version is that there are people who need that version.

So let's take a vote. These are the options I can see, please choose
one and argue / vent as you like:

Option 1: maintain 3.0 through to stable, eventually deprecate 2.1 and
then start packaging 3.1 as alpha. Pros: it's consistent and gives the
impression we know what we're doing. Cons: it's insane because 3.1
speaks its own wire protocol incompatible with previous and following
versions.

Option 2: deprecate 3.0 now, and start packaging 3.1 as alpha. Since
it's wire compatible with 2.1, people can test it immediately and we
should be able to push it through to maturity rapidly. Pros: simplest.
Cons: anyone using 3.0 in real life is kind of screwed.

Option 3: remove labels from 3.0 and make it wire-compatible with 2.1
and 3.1. Continue with current release planning. Pros: gives us the
release story we should have had from the start IMO. Cons: not sure if
it's even possible.

-Pieter