I went ahead and asked Sonatype for permission to post org.zeromq
artifacts to their OSS maven repo, and in effect - maven central (the
global repo).
Ticket is here: https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-2649

This will solve the hosting/distribution problem neatly, and we can
focus on the tricky business - i.e how to build multi-platform jars
w/native code.

Any Java-heads around here familiar with how that works in practice?