On Tue, 2016-05-03 at 10:39 +0200, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just throwing some ideas on the table. We have a good package of
> work on master and it's probably time to make a 4.2 release.
>
> Luca has already back-ported the enable/disable draft design from
> zproject (CZMQ et al). Yay! So we can now release stable master
> safely, while continuing to refine and extend the draft API sections.

:-)

Is any of the API I marked as draft actually ready for release?

> I propose:
>
> - to end with the stable fork policy; this was needed years ago when
> we had massively unstable masters. It's no longer a problem.

I like not using forks anymore, as having a separate git history is a
pain for backporting fixes.
So should we use branches instead for bugfix releases?

> - to use the github release function for libzmq releases and deprecate
> the separate delivery of tarballs.
> - we aim to make a 4.2.0 rc asap, then fix any issues we get, with
> patch releases as usual.
> - we backport the release function to older maintained releases (4.1,
> 3.2) so that their tarballs are provided by github instead of
> downloads.zeromq.org.
>
> Problems:
>
> - this will break a few things that depend on downloads.zeromq.org. To
> be fixed as we go.
> - github tarballs are not identical to source tarballs, particularly
> they lack `configure`. I propose changing our autotools build
> instructions so they always start with `./autogen,sh` no matter where
> the sources come from.

The problem is that will add all the autotools chain as a
build-dependency. And given that the end result varies massively
depending on version and platform, this might create more issues for
users.

Isn't it possible to do the github release thing with the result of
"make dist"? I think I've read somewhere that you can use the result of
CI builds. If that's the case, we can still use the make dist release
tarballs IMHO.

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi