On Tue, 2016-05-03 at 18:26 +0200, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> One note, 'make dist' always fails the first few times because files
> are missing. Keep this in mind. The git tarball has the great
> advantage of never failing. (And since it makes tarballs look like git
> clones it gives the same experience to all developers.)
>
> I'd vote for killing 'make dist'. It also makes us dependent on autotools.

Uhm I just tried fresh clones of both libzmq and zeromq4-1,
and ./autogen.sh; ./configure; make dist works just fine.
It was broken a while ago, but I fixed it, and now the CI tests that it
works.

Besides, IMHO there are 2 big problems with just tarring up the git
repo.

First of all, it doesn't remove the dependency, it just moves it down to
the user. Which means we'll start getting bug reports that are due to
the different versions of autotools or cmake used (and there are a lot!
).

But most importantly, the tarball will ship stuff that shouldn't be
shipped, which is a huge problem for distribution packagers. For
example, in CZMQ, the packaging bit would be shipped. That would break
many things in the package build process, and the distro maintainer (ie:
me :-) ) would have to take the shipped tarball and sanitize it, nuking
all extraneous bits. This should not be necessary! That's exactly the
reason "make dist" exists.