I agree with Mani that using the full range of punctuation is very satisfying; it also helps to prolong the moment. See my poem 'Smoke'; the second stanza is about 15 lines with only one full-stop - at the end - to give the effect of an infiniely prolonged moment, which is what the lover wishes.

As long as the thought is sustained there is no need for brevity, but short sentences also have their place. And certainly if your line of thought changes then the sentence should end...
Jane

Vidya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Whoo! that was some food for thought! :)

well, I the idea i was trying to get across was that one mustn't
finish sentences shortly just to be curt, one must write-on till
one's heart's content.. actually a full-stop here was used in a more
casual sense as in bringing a running object to a pause.. but i know
the idea did not come thru, i must give room for further thot.. will
get back to u soon..

Vidya.

--- In ZESTPoets@yahoogroups.com, M Suri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> A full-stop (or, parenthetically, a period in American parlance)
is
> not the only mark of punctuation, dear Vidyanjali;
> lest it incur the wrath of running afoul of syntax,
> commas and colons also give respite under the banyan tree,
> to a sentence running on in hot pursuit of a quest for eternity -
-
> not to mention a dash or two of cardamom to awaken the aroma
> for one's enhanced appreciation of the feast of words being
carried on trays
> through a crowded cafe, and,
> if the sentence doesn't come to a full-stop,
> how can it not drown out, with its huffing and puffing,
> the doubts about its endeavours or the encouragement of its
friends and neighbors with questions and exclamations of their own
to interject and exclaim and, yet,
> not come to a full stop?!
>
> Gee whiz! Did it make sense that one could end where one
started, perhaps, explaing that eternity is a process of coming full
circle?

> In any case, doesn't a sentence that is active by its "wish" but
passive by "being continued" in a conundrum about its voice and
place in life, confused and invoking the spirit of Hamlet? To be or
not to be -- active or passive?

http://in.messenger.yahoo.com

> --
> You are encouraged to post poetry, respond critically to the poems
circulated and participate in discussions. To post, email your
message to ZESTPoets@yahoogroups.com OR post online at

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Service.

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/yqIolB/TM

You are encouraged to post poetry, respond critically to the poems circulated and participate in discussions. To post, email your message to ZESTPoets@yahoogroups.com OR post online at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTPoets/post/
Yahoo! Groups Links