A GHZAL FOR THE LIVING JUPEE FISH

Abstract  nouns find meaning in concrete realities
Like life that is the breath and death the absence of.

With concrete proof of counting corpse of gupee fish
Until the fish were just missing minus corpse.

And all night and day I solve the case of missing corpse
With no concrete proof of floating gupee fish bodies.

And one day in my study I see a long lizard tongue
Come climbing over our bowl peeping into the water.

Its tongue level with the water and sticky fluid
Accepts the gupee fish and at one go the tablet is down.

And I run to my kitchen and reduce a mug level of water
To save my dear little gupee fish I had fished out

In my mother's rasam strainer, one monsoon day.
and every monsoon I make up a ghazal  for my living fish.

Sivakami Velliangiri

--
You are encouraged to post poetry, respond critically to the poems circulated
and participate in discussions. To post, email your message to