On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 03:54:37PM -0700, Ryan Rhodes wrote:
> I want one storage pool (mount), because I don't want to navigate through
> different drives/mounts to go through my movies/music/whatever. I want to
> at least be able to add drives later of the same size and still have one
> pool.

Just to address a slight confusion, you can have a single pool with many
associated RAID vdevs (stripes) and many different filesystems (mount points).

> zpool create... zpool add... I can't tell from what you're saying... for
> instance I want to buy 2 1TB drives for a 4 or 5 bay setup.  Later I want
> to add 1 TB at a time, until I fill the bays.  It sounds like if I started
> with 2 drives, and then create a new stripe with only one drive... then
> that new stripe won't have parity... what happens if that drive fails?

You just have to add a stripe at a time rather than a single disk at a time.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/ahl