On 5/27/06, Wes Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I had a one disk pool, that I want to use as a boot
> disk, but I can't
> seem to get rid of the efi label, when i use  format
> -e  it and try to
> relabel, format bitches that it can't set disk
> geometry or write the
> new label.
>
> any one have any clues how to fix this?
>
> james
> ss

James, you can usually find your disk  manufacturer's disk format utility to
totally clear the drive.  Alternatively, the Sun BIOS updated images, if you
have a Sun x86 system, have a format utility included on the CD ROM.

Another method it to start an install of FreeBSD or Linux on the drive to just
the point they clear the disk.  Ugly, but it works.

Then there is this first hit on Google:
http://tech.tyr.org.uk/2006/02/solaris_and_efi.html

tryed all the solaris based stuff that i can find... it just refused
to over write the efi label

i thought the scsi format worked, but it just gave me a more complete
label, it stili isn't liked by the solaris 10 installer...  i really
just jeed a work around.. and i really don't want to pull 11 disks out
of my 711/multistore to connect this to a linux box since i don't have
a any other way to get a linux box and sca slots.. safely

i'm currently looking for anything.. even a short perl script etc.

James

[search string:  clear+efi+label+solaris]

;)