On Jun 23, 2006, at 1:09 PM, eric kustarz wrote:

How about it folks - would it be a good idea for me to explore what it takes to get such a bug/RFE setup implemented for the ZFS community on OpenSolaris.org?

what's wrong with http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/index.jsp for finding bugs?

There's a LOT of things wrong with how b.s.o is presented.

For us non-Sun people, b.s.o is a one-way ticket, and only when we're lucky.

First, yes, we can search on bug keywords and categories. Great. Used to need a Sunsolve acct for this. But once we do that, we can only hope that the bugs we want to read about in detail aren't comprised solely of "See Notes" and that's it. It's like seeing "To be continued..." right before the climax of a movie. Useless and frustrating.

Second, while there is a way for Joe Random to submit a bug, there is zero way for Joe Random to interact with a bug. No voting to bump or drop a priority, no easy way to find hot topic bugs, no way to add one's own notes to the issue. I guess the desperate just have to clog the system with new bugs and have them marked as dups or badger someone with a sun.com email address to do it for us.

Third, much of end-to-end bug servicing from a non-Sun perspective is still an uphill battle, from acronyms and terms used to policies and coordination of work, e.g. "Is someone in Sun or elsewhere already working on this particular bug I'm interested in?" and questions which would stem from that basic one.

In summary, the bug/RFE process is still a mystery after 1 year, and who knows if it'll stay the ginormous tease that it currently is. Really, it's still no better than if one had a Sunsolve account in years' past.

/dale