Neil A. Wilson wrote:
Darren J Moffat wrote:
While encryption of existing data is not in scope for the first ZFS crypto phase I am being careful in the design to ensure that it can be done later if such a ZFS "framework" becomes available.

The biggest problem I see with this is one of observability, if not all of the data is encrypted yet what should the encryption property say ? If it says encryption is on then the admin might think the data is "safe", but if it says it is off that isn't the truth either because some of it maybe in encrypted.

I would also think that there's a significant problem around what to do about the previously unencrypted data. I assume that when performing a "scrub" to encrypt the data, the encrypted data will not be written on the same blocks previously used to hold the unencrypted data. As such, there's a very good chance that the unencrypted data would still be there for quite some time. You may not be able to access it through the filesystem, but someone with access to the raw disks may be able to recover at least parts of it. In this case, the "scrub" would not only have to write the encrypted data but also overwrite the unencrypted data (multiple times?).

Right, that is a very important issue. Would a ZFS "scrub" framework do copy on write ? As you point out if it doesn't then we still need to do something about the old clear text blocks because strings(1) over the raw disk will show them.

I see the desire to have a knob that says "make this encrypted now" but I personally believe that it is actually better if you can make this choice at the time you create the ZFS data set.

--
Darren J Moffat