On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:36:30AM +0100, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> Mike Gerdts wrote:
> >Is there anything in the works to compress (or encrypt) existing data
> >after the fact?  For example, a special option to scrub that causes
> >the data to be re-written with the new properties could potentially do
> >this.  If so, this feature should subscribe to any generic framework
> >provided by such an effort.
>
> While encryption of existing data is not in scope for the first ZFS
> crypto phase I am being careful in the design to ensure that it can be
> done later if such a ZFS "framework" becomes available.
>
> The biggest problem I see with this is one of observability, if not all
> of the data is encrypted yet what should the encryption property say ?
> If it says encryption is on then the admin might think the data is
> "safe", but if it says it is off that isn't the truth either because
> some of it maybe in encrypted.

I agree -- there needs to be a filesystem re-write option, something
like a "scrub" but at the filesystem level.  Things that might be
accomplished through it:

 - record size changes
 - compression toggling / compression algorithm changes
 - encryption/re-keying/alg. changes
 - checksum alg. changes
 - ditto blocking

What else?

To me it's important that such "scrubs" not happen simply as a result of
setting/changing a filesystem property, but it's also important that the
user/admin be told that changing the property requires scrubbing in
order to take effect for data/meta-data written before the change.

Nico