> It seems to me that asking the user to solve this
> problem by manually
> making copies of all his files puts all the burden on
> the
> user/administrator and is a poor solution.

I completely agree

> For one, they have to remember to do it pretty often.
>  For two, when
> hey do experience some data loss, they have to
> manually reconstruct the
> files!  They could have one file which has part of it
> missing from copy
> A and part of it missing from copy B.  I'd hate to
> have to reconstruct
> that manually from two different files, but the
> proposed solution would
> do this transparently.

Again, I agree.

> > The redundancy you're talking about is what you'd
> get from 'cp
> > /foo/bar.jpg /foo/bar.jpg.ok', except it's hidden
> from the user and
> > causing headaches for anyone trying to comprehend,
> port or extend the
> > codebase in the future.
>
> Whether it's hard to understand is debatable, but
> this feature
> integrates very smoothly with the existing
> infrastructure and wouldn't
> cause any trouble when extending or porting ZFS.

OK, given this statement...

> Just for the record, these changes are pretty trivial
> to implement; less
> than 50 lines of code changed.

and this statement, I can't see any reasons not to include it. If the changes
are easy to do, don't require anymore of the zfs team's valuable time, and
don't hinder other things, I would plead with you to include them, as I think
they are genuinely valuable and would make zfs not only the best enterprise
level filesystem, but also the best filesystem for laptops/home computers.

> --matt
> ss

celso