Hi,

*sigh*, one of the issues we recognized, when we introduced the new
cheap/fast file system creation, was that this new model would stress
the scalability (or lack thereof) of other parts of the operating
system.  This is a prime example.  I think the notion of an automount
option for zfs directories is an excellent one.  Solaris does support
automount, and it should be possible, by setting the mountpoint property
to "legacy", to set up automount tables to achieve what you want now;
but it would be nice if zfs had a property to do this for you
automatically.

In my mind, somthing like going :

zfs set automounter=on|off

would then allow it to see, that someone attempted to access the
filesystem and then mount the according filesystem, that would allow
you to NFS mount <fs>/data and have data/0[1-9] for example
automatically mounted on use.

Or at least, that's how i'd have thought it'd be a good idea ;)

heheh