On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 09:40:22AM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Example (real life scenario): there is a samba server for about 200
> concurrent connected users. They keep mainly doc/xls files on the
> server.  From time to time they (somehow) currupt their files (they
> share the files so it is possible) so they are recovered from backup.
> Having versioning they could be said that if their main file is
> corrupted they can open previous version and keep working.
> ZFS snapshots is not solution in this case because we would have to
> create snapshots for 400 filesystems (yes, each user has its filesystem
> and I said that there are 200 concurrent connections but there much more
> accounts on the server) each hour or so.

Why is creating that many snapshots a problem?  The somewhat recent addition
of recursive snapshots (zfs snapshot -r) reduces this to a single command.
Taking individual snapshots of each filesystem can take a decent amount
of time, but I was under the impression that recursive snapshots would
be much faster due to the snapshots being committed in a single transaction.
Is this not correct?

Ed Plese